The illegal aircraft that the 3 persons escaped from
After receiving reports of a foreign aircraft frequenting the Santa Fe Area, North Rupununi, Region 9, over the last four weeks, a party of police under the command of a Senior Officer, proceeded to the area where checks led to the discovery of, what is believed to be, an illegal airstrip and over a dozen ten-gallon jars in the bushes.
This information was relayed by Police Press Officer, Superintendent Jairam Ramlakhan, who in a release noted that as the party was leaving, they observed an aircraft circling some distance away and on returning to the cleared area, they saw three men running from the aircraft which by then had landed. The aircraft from which the three persons escaped was later secured by the Police
According to Ramlakhan after the aircraft was secured, reinforcement from the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) and another party of policemen led by the Commander of ‘F’ Division Senior Superintendent Ravindradat Budhram, departed Lethem about mid-night on Sunday and arrived at the location around 02:00hrs on Monday morning.
Upon inspecting the aircraft, a quantity of dry ration, medical supplies, gents clothing and footwear, two hand-held radios, flashlights, cellular phones and an identification card amongst other items were found.
It was determined that the cleared area where the aircraft landed is over one mile long, about fifty feet wide and appeared to have been recently graded.
The Civil Aviation Authority, the police said, has been notified and arrangements are being put in place for a multi-agency team to be flown to that area to conduct further investigations.
Just recently, a GDF patrol while conducting a reconnaissance mission in Region 9, approximately 5 kilometers (km) west of Santa Fe, Rupununi, discovered what is believed to be an illegal makeshift airstrip where several dug out trenches, one chainsaw, an axe and a 1/4 drum of aviation fuel were among other things discovered.
The illegal airstrip found in Santa Fe by GDF ranks on August 5
Moreover, soldiers found 12 abandoned camps at the said location.
Dug out trenches were filled with equipment and concealed with the surrounding grass
Authorities had launched a thorough investigation into the find which they said is representative of the challenges faced by the security Forces in the Hinterland region.
So far no arrests have been made in connection with that illegal airstrip, nor this one unearthed by the police.
Sophia and surrounding communities are benefiting from major road upgrades as the government continues to improve connectivity and create opportunities for residents.
Minister of Public...
Minister of Agriculture, Zulfikar Mustapha, officially launched the 20th Berbice Expo and Trade Fair on Friday.
This year, the expo is going to be held...
Ten vulnerable families across East Berbice-Corentyne (Region Six) have received newly constructed homes under the Men on Mission (MoM) initiative, including an elderly couple...
See full statement from the Guyana Police Force:
The Guyana Police Force is investigating an alleged discharging of a loaded firearm which occurred on Friday...
Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Dr Paul Cheong has initiated a High Court lawsuit against United States (US) sanctioned and indicted,...
PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad and Tobago, 21st August 2026 - Massy Finance Remittances has signed a three-year sponsorship agreement with the Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League...